There are lots of differences between Mandarin and Cantonese even though they share many Chinese characters and even sounds. Mandarin speakers and Cantonese speakers cannot understand each other unless they learn the other language. Mandarin and Cantonese are two different languages, but Google is continuing its big mistakes by considering Cantonese as the same or nearly the same language as Mandarin and they would not create a Cantonese selection for their Google Translate.
This article is written in hope that Google would realize their mistake someday and add Cantonese to their Google Translate. Please pass this article to someone related in Google so they can start to understand.
The differences between Mandarin & Cantonese
Althought Mandarin and Cantonese may share many Chinese characters, we can find
the following major differences between these two languages:
1. Very different pronunciation.
Mandarin：ní hǎo Cantonese: nei5 hou2
Mandarin: huo3 che1 Cantonese: fo2 ce1
2. Mandarin 4 tones vs Cantonese 6 tones
Mandarin 師時史是 tāngshī shí shĭ shì
Cantonese 師史試時市是 si1 si2 si3 si4 si5 si6
Mandarin 湯糖躺燙 tāng táng tăng tàng
Cantonese 湯躺燙糖 tong1 tong2 tong3 tong4
3. different characters or words are used
e.g. Engligh: I like him
4. different word order
e.g. Engligh: I need to go first.
Top Posts & Pages
- Cantonese Dictionaries
- How to say: I miss you in Cantonese
- How to say “you are pretty” in Cantonese
- How to say "I love you" in Cantonese?
- Lesson 10: I am busy in Cantonese
- How to say “sorry” in Cantonese(1)
- Cantonese Learning TV Show:1
- How to say "you are (so) handsome" in Cantonese?
- Lesson 4: Where are you from？
- Learn Cantonese Online at CantonesePod
- Beautiful in Cantonese
- How to Say Please in Cantonese
- Happy Father’s Day in Cantonese
- Happy Father’s Day
- Cantonese For Missionaries: Lesson One
- Colloquial Cantonese(3)
- Colloquial Cantonese (2)
- Colloquial Cantonese(1)
- Diffference between Mandarin & Cantonese
- How For Permission to Marry His Daughter in Cantonese